- The first season of Showmax Original thriller series IGIZA has come to an end after 13 episodes.
- The series stars Serah Ndanu, Kevin Samuel, Blessing Lungah’o among others and is directed by Abdi Shuria who is known for his works as a cinematographer for 2021’s hit Nafsi and upcoming feature Ayaanle), King Muriuki (The XYZ Show)
- Set against the backdrop of Nairobi’s fashion industry and the money laundering business, Igiza is a story of revenge between twin sisters Linda and Nicole.
- Igiza is the next Showmax Original in Kenya after the recently concluded second season of the police procedural and legal drama Crime and Justice,
- For those who have not watched the series YET, all 13 episodes are now available to binge on Showmax.
STORYLINE – Twelve years into serving a life sentence, Nicole breaks out of prison and swaps places with her identical twin sister Linda. Nicole intends to take back everything she is owed.
It’s been one hell of a ride for fans of the Showmax thriller series, from plot twists to shocking revelations to some unexpected deaths that would make Game of Thrones proud to the showdown in the final episode.
Igiza was the most popular show among Showmax subscribers in Kenya when it premiered back in May 2022, and remained in the top spot for 13 weeks straight.
Fan Reviews –
On Twitter, fans praised the show and lead Serah Ndanu Teshna for her dual portrayal of Linda and Nicole with 40 Sticks producer Fakii Liwali writing– “We the fans of #IgizaShowmax confer upon Serah Teshna a Masters in Duality,” even suggesting that the fans need a BTS special on how the show managed to shoot the scenes with both Linda and Nicole.
Another fan wrote: “Igiza is a real drug. You get home and it is the first thing you have to watch on a Monday! The twists in this show are just out of this world.”
In her review, The Standard critic Winnie Makena praised the cast as “one of the show’s strong points.” She added: “Serah is convincing as both a rich woman with a successful business as well as a ghetto-bred jailbird.”
In an earlier interview with Blessing Lung’aho, who plays Nicole’s accomplice Dom, the actor had said of Igiza: “The stakes are very high because at any point, anyone can die.”
Kevin Samuel, who plays Linda’s husband Reggie, added: “It (Igiza) was willing to go to a dark place that no show has done locally.”
Igiza has kept viewers on edge episode after episode, following the chaotic lives of twins Linda and Nicole (played by Serah Ndanu), both fishes out of water in their own way; Dom, who’s on the cusp of getting everything he’s ever wanted; Reggie who is pulled deeper and deeper into a dangerous criminal underworld; Chris (Eddie Mbugua), the money laundering boss and casual psychopath who holds Reggie’s fate in his hands; and the cast of characters who either have a stake in this mayhem or are caught in the crossfire.
In the final episode – it’s a race against time to save Linda’s son Ian. While Dom seeks his own brand of justice for the death of his mother, Linda and Nicole confront that fateful night years ago that led them to where they are now, Reggie makes a bad move with tragic consequences, and detectives close in on Chris, who will not go down without a fight.